Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Quigley Curse

This morning was rough. There seems to be a bug floating around the Plus 3 group and unfortunately I caught it; sore throat, nausea, and a headache is just what I wanted! On the plus side Dr. Berman let us sleep in and we did not have to be at the bus until 9:30 (woohoo!). Carly and I went down to breakfast around 9:10 and there was practically nothing left. (We did not realize that it closed at 9:00 AM).  However, they were really nice and let us in and luckily they had some noodles and fruit left over.

Our first stop was the Saigon Newport Corporation. This was really neat. It is run by the Navy and everyone there dresses in uniform. It is one of the largest ports in the world. Our presenter was awesome. He was really funny and spoke very clear English. (In the presentation there was a picture of a warehouse that looked identical to Airline and I was half tempted to ask him about it but I figured that warehouses all look pretty similar). He was also impressed that we knew about supply and demand curves. (Thanks Romoff and Jimbo). We went on a tour of the building and then he took us to the roof. Now that was a sight to see. They had tons and tons and tons of cargo. It was insane.

Next we went to lunch at a restaurant that was on the water. It looked like it was in a cute little swamp hut. The food was on point. I had really good fish and beef. (SIDE NOTE: Tin just cracks me up. I always sit by him during meals and he has become my bus buddy. I think I am the only person that he grabs food for and makes sure that I am getting fed. If I can't reach something, he always yells at who ever is in front of it for not serving me. Too cute).

Afterwards we headed over to Kien A Corp. This is like a real estate company and we toured their freshly built apartment complex. Talk about high class. These were soooo nice, like I would seriously have no trouble moving my things to Vietnam and living there. We saw a 3 bed room, 2 bath, living room and full kitchen apartment for less then $200,000 USD. (And it comes fully furnished). The landscape was beautifully done (Dad if you saw it you would want to do it to our yard, and you would say it was "sharp"). We then went to a penthouse that was completely gutted and in the process of renovations which was cool. Then we went on the roof and had a amazing view of the city. (I took a bunch of pictures. No worries).

Once we got back to the hotel, Brian, Jeff, Chi, Anh, Ha and I headed over to the market for the third day in a row. I'm starting to get better at bargaining but I still think I could have bought things cheaper. Oh well. Next, Anh, Ha and I (Chi met up with us later) went to this really awesome "teen hang out spot" I guess you could say. (It was called -18 Celsius) It was like a coffee shop with a bunch of smoothies and teas. You sat on the floor on these seats that looked like skids with pillows on them. I had a very tasty mint chocolate chip coffee frozen drink with these jelly squares in them and this like rice burrito thing. We just stayed for a while and talked about girly stuff. (On this trip I discovered that the topics of conversation of teenage girls is universal: clothes, boys, puppies and celebrities). Next we headed over to a fast food restaurant called the  Lotteria for ice cream. (My cone was 3,000 dong which translates to fifteen cents. Unreal. I will never be able to buy ice cream from Ritas again.)

We then headed back to my room just to hang out, and then my worst nightmare happened. Anh was looking at my camera and accidentally erased ALL of my photos. I was planning on uploading them tonight but I never got a chance. I was really upset and I started to cry. Anh, Chi and Ha felt terrible and did a bunch of research and made a lot of phone calls to try and fix it. They said that they found a shop that does data recovery and can guarantee the retrieval of  80% of my photos. I have never heard of such a thing but hopefully it works! 80% is better then 0%. Anh took my card and is going to the shop tomorrow at 8:00 AM. This is just my Quigley luck I guess. Hopefully tomorrow brings good news!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment