Monday, May 20, 2013

I'm gonna pop some tags, only got 400.000 dong in my pocket

Today was another nice and easy going day. We were actually able to sleep in a little later and did not have to be at the bus until 8:45 AM (which was awesome considering the exhausting day that we had yesterday). Like always we had breakfast at the hotel. I try to get new and different things every time but I usually just go to the sauteed noodles time and time again. Anyway, today we went to a different branch campus of UEF where the first year students go. Usually when we have our language class, it is filled with UEF students to help us, but this week is their finals week so it is difficult for them to come to our classes. However when we arrived 4 or 5 of my UEF friends came to our class, which I appreciated greatly. When I asked them why they came, they said that they love us too much and did not want to miss any time since we are leaving on Saturday. (I thought this was really sweet. They really are a great group of caring students). In class we brushed up on our bargaining and skills for the market. (I actually remembered more from Friday's class then I thought which was nice.) I felt a little more confident with the material but definitely not enough to haggle down a shop owner.

After class Dr. Berman and Tin took us on a mini tour of Ho Chi Minh City. We went to the presidential palace which is like Vietnam's white house. The conference room was the best conference room that I have ever seen (yes I rate conference rooms). The palace was 4 stories and everyone was free to run around where they please for a hour. (Side note: So far for every single site visit or tour that we have done, Tin and I have always been side by side walking around together. He makes this trip x27178654678271 better because he is so insightful and answers most of my questions. Also it prevents me from getting lost since I have no sense of direction on my own) The view from the top of the palace was really beautiful. It is a perfect shot of the major intersection and park where teens hang out. Afterwards we headed to lunch back at the hotel. To best honest it was not that good. (I have been spoiled by my UEF friends taking me to all of the best restaurants that anything below exquisite is not up to par with my standards).

After lunch we headed to a wholesale market in Chinatown. WOW. This was soooo overwhelming!! There were so many dealers crammed into one space that you literally had a 6 inch walkway down the aisles and had to step over so many things and people. Thank God I had Anh walk around with me so I was able to communicate with the merchants and navigate my way through a sea of stuff. Us Plus 3 kids didn't really like the market because you couldn't by souvenir things there. It was more like a Sam's club or Costco for vendors instead of a gift shop for tourists.

We originally had dinner plans at a restaurant in Chinatown but everyone was pretty fed up so Dr. Berman canceled the reservation and took us to the Ben Thanh market. Now this is the place to be. The only thing that really bugged me was the merchants. They were like used car salesmen and Raymour and Flanigan sales men on steroids. They would literally grab you in order to get you to come into their booth. I also did not like the haggling process and the way that the merchants said that they were giving you a really good deal when they were not. (After I bought something I found it at another store for a third of the price. This really ticked me off). Again I do not know what I would have done without Anh. (Actually I do know, I probably would have paid x10s the amount it is worth.)

After the market, Anh and I went back to the hotel and got a group of people together and went out to dinner. (I couldn't tell you the name of it but it is right next to Tokyo Town if that is any consolation). The food was different, but tasty. Here I realized that they are a big fan of the mint leaf, which is something that I am not to fond of. Nonetheless it was good and we had fun. Afterwards we took a cab to Baskin Robbins which just so happened to have an AUNTIE ANNE'S right next door. Baskin Robbins was about the same price as it would be in American but Auntie Anne's was about $1.50 (US dollars) a pretzel. I was a happy camper with my cinnamon sugar pretzel.

We had to make sure that we were back at the hotel by 9:30 pm for the tailor to come for a second fitting. I am freaking out a little bit because everyone else's suit fits them to a T and mine is a few inches short in the pants and jacket. Hopefully all of the kinks will be worked out by Thursday! I can't wait to see the finished product!!!

Okay well I am off to bed!


Hẹn Gặp Lại

No comments:

Post a Comment